Sunday 1 March 2015

To be self reliant...


When I was in eighth standard, I had a teacher who taught us Biology and since it was my favorite subject and I loved studying it, I scored good in it. No wonder, she liked me. She was nice and a bit different from the rest of the teachers. She always liked to communicate with the students and understood us all. She had a nice heart.
One day, it was our free period. So she came. We all were making noise. So, she announced that she'd ask everyone a question and they'll have to answer it. We thought it must be related to our subject but it wasn't. Then, she asked a friend of mine to stand up and to tell her who was her role model. She answered "My father, ma'am." 
And then, she kept asking everyone the same and their answers were either their father or some famous personality. Then, came my turn. I could see that she was expecting a different answer. So that's what I gave her.
She asked me to stand up and I stood up. She repeated the same question that she had asked everyone else. I didn't utter a word for a minute. She looked curious. Then, I answered-"My role model? My elder sister, Nancy."
She repeated "Nancy? Not your father or anyone else? Your mother?"
I replied-"No ma'am. Nancy."
She said-"But why? She hasn't achieved anything in her life yet!"
I replied-"No, she hasn't. But she will. She inspires me."
She smiled and asked me to sit down. She knew my sister since we were in the same school.
Everyone looked at me but no one said anything. They must have thought I'd say my father but I couldn't. I know wherever he is now, he's above all his siblings and he has worked hard to be this successfully but the thing is he's a government official. And I do not wish to follow his foot steps because I don't want a 9 to 5 job because it's boring. I want something interesting and something which keeps me going. A 9 to 5 job wouldn't be it. That would be something like a fashion journalist or an interior designer or a photographer or anything else that would demand my complete attention and that would demand hard work as well but would be inspiring and different from rest of the ordinary jobs.
I like to work and be appreciated for my talent. And my sister is the only one who understand me and motivates me to follow my dream; my this dream of becoming someone my other family members do not expect me to become.
She has always inspired me. She's strong, bold and ,in her own way, independent.
She is the only one who motivates me on every stage of my life, when no one else does. She stands by my side and help me go through the difficult times. My parents taught me how to walk but she taught me to walk on the right path. She teaches me something every day. She comforts me and understands my pain. That's why we have this incredibly understanding. It's not just because we're sisters and we spend most of the time together but because we both know that others will come in our lives and go but we will always stick together. We'll always have to be there for one another and that's something not everyone can assure you. Not even your closest friend or your childhood buddy. She didn't teach me to judge people but to observe them. She has been a motivation for most of her friends. The one thing she has taught her friends and me is to be "SELF RELIANT". She motivates me to start writing and to start this blog. And not to be afraid to be different and follow a path that the herd doesn't follow. And that is something not everyone has the guts to do.
Earlier even when I knew that my judgement was correct, I would never be 100 percent sure. But she made me believe in myself. I was never the wise one between the two of us.
But among children my age, I was counted as the wise ones because I have always been this girl who was confident and self-reliant. I couldn't have been this person had my sister not helped me become one.
Now I am confident enough to take my own decisions for myself and believe in my own judgement. I am able to make the smart choices for myself and I don not require others' advises. I hear them all but I don't let others' advises influence my decision because I know that the final decision will be mine and I know what's best for me.

And I'm sure she'll continue to inspire me throughout my life.I hope everyone finds an inspiration such as her so that they get SO inspired that they become self-reliant and become independent.
So that people achieve things they have always wanted to without having to depend on any other soul.

The above article is written for IndiHappyHour campaign in association with HDFCLife.



By
Simran Bharti
Follow me on Instagram @PrettyLittleVirtuoso for more daily product reviews, fashion advice, shopping hauls & more.




















No comments:

Post a Comment

Must-Have Vintage Fashion Accessories At Rs 250 Only

Hi everyone, Vintage fashion is back and with the famous flared jeans, bell sleeves and striped sweater, we also have the classiest and c...