Tuesday 7 October 2014

Tips for shopping


1.    Prepare a “To-shop list”:


Now, this is the most important thing that you need to do. Months before going for shopping, start making a list. Just paste a piece of paper on your almirah , cupboard, study table or any place your eyes easily notice it and put the heading as “To Shop List”. Whenever you find any dress or cloth attractive (suppose any new trend has started say crop top), you write it down on that paper. And also, it is impossible that you go months without coming across something that you really needed at some point but unfortunately, you didn't have it (maybe because you couldn't afford it or for any other reason but it wasn't in your wardrobe). This list is the best to note down those things that you need to buy or the ones that you are usually in need of like a pair of black tights or say brown boots. J

2.    List of things you “need” and things you “want”:


Remember “Needs” and “Wants” are two different thing. A pair of colored jeans is something that you would want but a pair of black trouser is something that most of us need because it simply goes with anything and almost everything we have in our wardrobe. So, once you are done with the “to shop list” of yours, start categorizing those things under “Things I Want” and “Things I Need”. It will give you a clear view of things that you should spend your money on first because if you have all the basics, you’ll be able to spend the rest of your money on the trendy stuff or all the money on the trendy stuff the next time you go for shopping.

3.    Estimate total expenditure:


Now that you have categorized the things under the category “Things I want” and “Things I need”, start estimating their price. In front of the names, write the maximum amount of money that you can spend on that item or the minimum amount that it is available at.

4.    Estimate your budget:


This one’s important. While preparing the list and estimating the expenditure, you need to keep in mind your budget for shopping because if you write down everything that you want to buy and it exceeds your budget by a great extent, you will not be able to make wise choice when it’ll come down to the  “short listing”  part.

5.    Do the math:


Now, as said above if you have made a long “To buy list” and it exceeds your budget, this is what should be your next step. It is obvious that you wouldn't short list the “Things I need” list because someday or other, your money will be spent on these things anyway. So before you suffer any more, how about you buy these things now only? Start short listing the second category i.e. “Things I Want” and if the total amount still exceeds your budget, you eliminate only those things from the “Things I Need” category that you think can be purchased later and you wouldn't need them until the next time you go for shopping. And then, there it is. Your Final Shopping List!

6.    While shopping- Be focused:

Now, I know the thing with shopaholics. Before entering the shopping spot, they would be much focused and things like these would cross their mind:
“I have enough money. I have a list. I have come prepared and I vow to myself that I will not regret anything I buy with this money today.”
“I am beautiful and I know how to bargain.”
“I may not have enough money but I surely have a plan to stick to.”
“This time, there’s no Plan B.”
“I either spend my money wisely or I better start saving from tomorrow.”
“More clothes today, fewer chocolates from tomorrow”
But they are fooling nobody but themselves because as soon as they lay their eyes on those beautiful dresses, those chic hats, the glitter tops, the crop tops, the high waist jeans, the sexy stilettos etc etc etc, they forget EVERYTHING about their budget and the “Things I NEED to buy list” is found crushed or torn in their carry bags. Then, we shopaholics end up with crop tops we don’t have a single pair of denim that go with, dresses we don’t have matching heels to wear with, shorts with no tank top and you know the rest.
It’s Deja Vu *all over again*

So, first start buying the things you need and when you’re done with that list, switch to the other one. 

By
Simran Bharti
Follow me on Instagram @PrettyLittleVirtuoso for more daily product reviews, fashion advice, shopping hauls & more.



















No comments:

Post a Comment

Must-Have Vintage Fashion Accessories At Rs 250 Only

Hi everyone, Vintage fashion is back and with the famous flared jeans, bell sleeves and striped sweater, we also have the classiest and c...